Re: WEB : Mapping out communal cyberspace

Mark P. McCahill (mpm@boombox.micro.umn.edu)
Tue, 14 Jun 94 09:51:49 CDT

In message <9406132231.AA18089@haifa.isx.com> Jerry Isdale writes:

> re 3D Gopher
> I have heard that the folks who developed Gopher are also working on a VR
> type interface to that network information finder.

yup.

> Somewhere on the net is
> the seed document that has some excellent descriptions about why the 3d
> interface is desirable.

Its in ith some of the other paper from the GopherCon '94 conference.
You can grab it via gopher or ftp to boombox.micro.umn.edu
gopher selector:
1/gopher/Gopher_Conference_94/Papers
or ftp path:
/pub/gopher/Gopher_Conference_94/Papers

One problem we tried to address is making sure that the GopherVR
we are building will encompass the existing gopher information space
without modifications to the current servers or content and at the same
time be able to accomodate the cool new stuff you can do with a 3-D user
interface.

I wonder if its even possible to map a 3D user interface onto the existing
heap of web documents? Seems like the lack of structure inherent
in a collection of hypertext pages is going to make it tough to be backward
compatible, and I don't think you'll be able to convince everyone to go back
an redo their Web documents...

Anyway the way the paper isn't quite finished (its a draft). We'll
finish it up real soon now...

Mark P. McCahill

gopherspace engineer/University of Minnesota
mpm@boombox.micro.umn.edu
612 625 1300 (voice) 612 625 6817 (fax)