Re: unruly stylesheets vs. unruly HTML (was: battlefields)

David Megginson (dmeggins@aix1.uottawa.ca)
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 10:45:14 -0500

Gavin Nicol writes:

> I very much think that most people who are actually quite serious
> about data longevity would never choose HTML as the canonical form in
> the first place.

It depends on the application. I designed the (very long) online
grammar course here at the Writing Centre using the TEI DTD, and I
convert to HTML with my own SGMLS.pm conversion package; on the other
hand, I maintain a number of pages containing welcomes, lists of
workshops, announcements, resources, etc., and for these the HTML
files _are_ the originals. It would be nice to be able to keep one
stylesheet for all of the Writing Centre files _except_ HyperGrammar.

Secondly, of course, the stylesheet question is even more relevant for
other, more better-implemented DTDs, once general SGML becomes more
common on the Web.

David

--
David Megginson                Department of English, University of Ottawa,
dmeggins@aix1.uottawa.ca       Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1N 6N5