Re: Cyan definition?

Benjamin C. W. Sittler (bsittler@prism.nmt.edu)
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 13:58:33 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> In the style draft, cyan is included as a color name.
>
> In the printing industry, this is a medium-light blue.
> On a Macintosh, this is also blue, slightly lighter.
> On a Windows machine, "cyan" refers to a very greenish-hued blue.
>
> For style sheets, should cyan be defined as true cyan (i.e., not greenish)?

I would suggest leaving definition of named colors to the rendering software
and user preference.

In level 2, this could be handled by defining constants in the personal
stylesheet. If someone ever develops an "industry standard" set of named
rgb colors, users can add the appropriate @import directive to their
stylesheets.

Benjamin C. W. Sittler