Re: draft-ietf-html-style-00.txt & class as a general selector

Benjamin C. W. Sittler (bsittler@prism.nmt.edu)
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:28:43 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Bert Bos wrote:

... (excellent description of why CSS1 is the way it is omitted.)

> For addressing ID's we have a similar shortcut, though this one
> actually needs some help from the SGML parser, since the formatter
> doesn't know the DTD. Assuming attribute NAME is declared as an ID in
> the DTD, you can do:

> 1. [NAME = "p004"] } equivalent, but only 2 is in CSS1
> 2. "p004" }

> Note that (1) doesn't need support from the SGML parser, while (2)
> does. Again, we could have used Chris's `#' instead of quotes, but I
> think the `#' would scare non-programmers.

I disagree. Anyone familiar with URLs will immediately understand the #,
since it is used to refer to a NAMEd (or HTML3 IDd) element in an A HREF.

Benjamin C. W. Sittler