Re: www in URL's??

Philippe-Andre Prindeville (philipp@res.enst.fr)
Fri, 29 Dec 95 05:36:35 +0100

On Dec 28, 17:30, Gregory Woodhouse wrote:
> If I happen to know (or even suspect) that XYZ corporation has a domain name
> of xyz.com and I want to learn more about them, one of the first things I'll
> try is
>
> http://www.xyz.com/
>
> If that fails, I'll go to infoseek or yahoo to try and find them. There's
> nothing magic about the www, but at least having a CNAME record for
> www.your.domain pointing to your server considerably improves the chances
> that people will be able to find you (easily).

I have no problem with that, but some companies have registered

productname.com

for each one of their N products. What an explosion of *trash*
in the DNS space! Imagine:

www.ginsu-miracle-potato-slicer.com

Does the world really need this?

-Philip

P.S. Don't bother flaming me, yes, I know we are digressing
*badly* from HTML...