Re: <PAGE> proposal

William C. Cheng (william@cs.columbia.edu)
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 15:30:18 -0500

Eric S. Raymond <esr@locke.ccil.org> wrote:
> I therefore propose a new tag, <PAGE>. When the browser encounters this
> tag, it should fill the display area with blank lines to the bottom. The
> <PAGE> tag should also alter the scroll-forward behavior of the browser so
> that the space created by <PAGE> expands during scrolling to fill the display
> area until it is entirely blank, at which point the next scroll-forward
> skips to-of-display to just past the <PAGE> tag.

I often use the term "Home Page" instead of "Home File" because I view an
HTML URL as a page. The scrolling behavior you described to go to the next
page seems awkward. May be a "Next" button on a browser is more appropriate.
A browser can use seomthing like like <LINK REL="NextPage" HREF="..."> to
associate an URL with its "Next" button. This would not require a new tag
to be introduced.

--
Bill Cheng // Guest at Columbia Unversity Computer Science Department
william@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.columbia.edu!william