HTML 3 DTD? [was: frames ]

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 22:53:09 -0500

In message <30D0C4DA.16B8@macnica.co.jp>, Ron Dutcher writes:

>Here is an html example that should answer your question Look at the anchor t
>hat
>says "back to the home page" it uses Target = _parent I think that is the
>ticket you are looking for.
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 3.0//EN" "html.dtd">
>ALINK="#FF0000">
><LI><A HREF="first.htm" Target="_parent">Back to the Home page</A></H3><BR><P>
><LI><A HREF="win95.htm" Target="display">Editing the Registry</A></H3><BR><P>

I'm curious about what folks mean by:

"-//IETF//DTD HTML 3.0//EN"

As far as I know, there's no HTML 3.0 DTD that the IETF owns. In
fact, I'm not aware of a DTD that includes the TARGET attribute, or
bgcolor/text/link/vlink attributes on BODY.

Do you have one? Does anybody have one that they use, perhaps,
to validate documents locally?

How about DTDs used in HTML-related products or demonstrations, like
hot-java, HoTMeTaL, linuxdoc, etc?

The only HTML3 DTD I know about is the 24-March-95 one at:

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html3/html3.dtd

In an effort to:

(1) get folks to validate documents that use stuff beyond HTML 2.0
(2) get folks include a DTD when proposing a new feature
(3) learn what document structures are supported by authoring tools
(4) specify uses of the text/html media type for stuff beyond html 2.0

I'm collecting HTML DTDs and DTD fragments, and putting them on the web. It's
not a registry yet, but it could become one if that looks valuable.

I'd also like to get folks to say what DTD their documents conform to, ala:

<!doctype HTML system "http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html3/html3.dtd">
<title>...</title>

or perhaps even:

<!doctype HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 24-March-96//EN"
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html3/html3.dtd">

<title>...</title>

Followups to www-html@w3.org, please.

Dan