RE: Multiple URL's for HREF, SRC and ACTION

Gregory Woodhouse (gjw@best.com)
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 14:59:18 -0800

At 02:03 PM 11/17/95 -0800, thomasre@microsoft.com wrote:
>i think that unfortunately there are plenty of scenarios of people using
>spaces in 'file:' url's that this would break down in practice.
>
>-Thomas Reardon
>Microsoft

Actually, spaces should be escaped in URLs, anyway. Okay, okay, the tilde is
technically an unsafe chaacter as well, so I'm stubborn (see my signature).

That being said, I like this idea. It would allow us to specify mirror sites
which would be tried either if the primary site was down or if it times out.
I'm not quite sure how to handle time outs though, I suspect that once the
dat tansfer begins, you'll probably want to stick with the site/URL and just
allow timeouts to handle "no response" type situations. In many ways this
ias analogous to the use of multiple MX records in the domain name service.

Question: Is there any advantage to assigning a numerical preceence as with
MX records?

---
Gregory Woodhouse     gjw@best.com
home page:            http://www.best.com/~gjw/