Re: Problems with NSGMLS (MSDOS 0.4) (SP)

Scott Bigham (dsb@goldfinch.cs.duke.edu)
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 17:16:48 -0400

mortenf@login.dknet.dk (Morten Frederiksen) writes:
>I somehow got the impression, that nsgmls (aka sp) by James Clark
>could do some checking on the validity of my HTML documents.
>
>However, I can't seem to get it working.

The page <URL:http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/html-check-notes.html>
describes exactly this procedure, and should tell you everything you
need to know. It talks about sgmls instead of nsgmls, but the two
should be interchangeable for this purpose.

>Am I totally off base here, or do I need to do something else,
>ie. reference the DTD in my HTML files, or ???

Yes, you'll need a <!DOCTYPE ...> declaration at the top of your
document to specify the DTD. The above page describes this.

-sbigham