Re: HTML 3.0 suggestion

David Rahbany (drahbany@ctea.com)
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 15:37:28 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995 21:54:15 +0100 (MET) "Jon A. Lovstad" <jonal@gyda.hiof.no>
wrote:
[modified for space by D. Rahbany]
>On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Carl Benker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday I had posted to this mailing list a request to make
>> list items "containers" by adding a </LI> tag to the HTML spec.
>> I received a fair amount of email that said that I should have
>> looked into it a little on my own, since it was already in the
>> standard.
>
>[Carl continues to reference the HTML 2 spec and says it is not listed
>there.]
>
>I have printed the HTML 3 spec as presented by W3.org and I can't find it
>listed under the OL/UL sections there either. Could someone please list
>the source where it is a part of the standard?

Please refer to the following Internet Drafts:

<draft-ietf-html-spec-05.txt> - page 12 - "...the end tags of some other
elements, such as Paragraph ('</P>'), List Item ('</LI>'), Definition Term
('</DT>'), and Definition Description ('</DD>') elements, may be omitted."

<daft-eitf-html-scpcv3-00.txt> - page 10 - "...Some elements appear as just a
start tag. For example to create a line break, you use <BR>. Additionally, the
end tags of some other elements (e.g. P, LI, DT, DD) can be omitted as the
position of the end tag is clearly implied by the context."

Respecfully,

Dave Rahbany
drahbany@ctea.com