Re: Proposed Text Flow Attributes for HTML 3.0

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 17:30:48 -0400

At 12:18 PM 8/21/95 -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>Just something to think about. I thing my text flow attribs fall under
>the same level of significance as some of the above tags. (ALIGN, WRAP, etc.)

These are convenience attributes. When there become too many of them, HTML
becomes a big, complex language and that's inconvenient. I would argue that
there are already too many of them, and that they continually confuse and
mislead people.

I don't think that there is an SGML-compatible way to specify an extension
interface for attributes. Otherwise we could take them out of the HTML
standard and treat them as a "standardized formatting extension." It would
at least be clear to people that they were _not_ like the other parts of HTML.

Paul Prescod

Paul Prescod (mailto:papresco@calum.uwaterloo.ca)