Re: CGM deployment?

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Tue, 01 Aug 1995 11:07:57 -0400

In message <199508011118.VAA23535@hades.erin.gov.au>, David Crossley writes:
>The recent brief discussion on this list about the possibility of inline
>Computer Graphics Metafile (CGM) is of great interest to us. We in the
>geographic information community see this as a major step towards enabling
>online delivery of spatially relevant information.

The is not the first time I've heard this. OK. Perhaps it's
time to do something about it. I've updated the w3.org
page on graphics formats:

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Graphics/Overview.html

to mention some issues I've seen discussed here: format negociation
and CGM, for example.

I'd like to see the following:

1. Some data on the web (i.e. available via HTTP, ftp, or gopher) in
CGM format.

2. Some free CGM viewers, with documentation on how to use them
as MIME viewers.

3. Software for converting CGM to GIF/JPEG, as well
as to Postscript, configured as a translator inside
a web server.

4. A discussion of CGM authoring tools (and/or
conversion tools)

4. Modular web browsers that can incorporate software like
(2) as an OpenDoc part, OLE control, Fresco object, etc.

5. libraries for processing CGM, so that even monolithic
browsers can use CGM inline.

We don't have much W3C staff time to spend on this, but I'm willing to
do some coordination. But actually, Chris Lilley seems more
qualified. I nominate him as "editor" of a "CGM and the web" page to
collect this info.

So: who's got software? Who's got data? Who wants to do beta
testing? Who wants to write documentation?

Attached is the best peice of info I've seen about CGM references.
Wow! A little surfing from one of these references produced
CGM data and a viewer with free source code! See:

http://pscinfo.psc.edu/general/software/packages/cgm/cgm.html
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC)
Revised: Nov 25, 1993

Daniel W. Connolly "We believe in the interconnectedness of all things"
Research Associate, MIT/W3C PGP: EDF8 A8E4 F3BB 0F3C FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21
<connolly@w3.org> http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/People/Connolly

=========