Re: Sentence MarkUp

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 14:04:25 -0400

At 09:36 AM 7/27/95 -0600, Benjamin C. W. Sittler wrote:
>In some ways, short-term (CSS) and long-term (DSSSL) stylesheet
>initiatives are already underway.

CSS is what I would call "medium-term." It is going to be non-trivial to
implement. The subset I am talking about _would_ be trivial to implement.
It isn't much more than Mosaic and Netscape already allow in prefs or
.xresources. I suppose it is a little sad that we have to subset a subset,
but that is the state of the world we live in. =)

Furthermore CSS is in a massive state of flux, as well it should be. I
don't think it should be hurried by short-term thinkers who need green text
_today_. But if we wait much longer I think we jepordize our forward
momentum. HTML 3 wasn't created in one shot. Perhaps nobody would have
implemented it if it were.

Paul Prescod

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.uwaterloo.ca)