Re: Sentence MarkUp

Mike Batchelor (mikebat@clark.net)
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 13:04:25 -0400 (EDT)

kitblake once wrote...

> Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> ....(snipped)
> >There are other benefits. I believe it would:
> >
> > slow the creation of "tomorrow's legacy documents."
> > dispell the myth that the HTML WG is "against" presentation.
> > encourage the usage of CLASS, which would contribute to its usage in
> >robots and other software.
> > allow us to judge how people use CLASS so that we can think about
> >standardizing some usages.
> > increase the awareness of platform portability issues.
> > put the IETF and W3C back in the driver's seat with respect to the
> >direction of HTML and the Web.
> >
> >----
> >
> >Comments? Ideas? Should I present a more technical specification? I would
> >imagine the language would be a touched-up subset of the current CSS proposal.
>
> A yes vote.
>
> This would allow style sheets to have a probationary condition until their
> use and abuse can be learned from.

Another yes vote here. I think the concept of style sheets is sound. It
needs to be field tested, and a solid implementation defined. Even if the
most popular style sheet implementation is something Netscape comes up
with once the "hooks" are standardized in an interim specification, the
Web will be better off, because it will have relegated all the
vendor-specific enhancements to a subsidiary document, that is not part of
HTML proper.

--
   %%%%%% mikebat@clark.net %%%%%% http://www.clark.net/pub/mikebat/ %%%%%%