Re: Multi column layout question.

Lauren Langford (ldieguez@best.com)
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 16:49:15 -0700 (PDT)

Here's an idea. I don't know whether or not it is possible, but I'll
throw it out there.

Could there be a column tag that each individual can define in the
preferences file? The problem is mainly that there are widely varying
screen sizes, so what fits one page on one machine will be either too
long or too short or even too wide for another. So how about a tag that
allows the browser to define the depth and width of a two-column format?
This still would not allow for precise placing of elements within a
column (which I agree is against the concept of HTML), but it does allow
a two-colum format which is easier to read. I've been a typographer for
25 years, and the fact is that it is easier to read shorter lines of
text. You don't get lost at the end of the line and end up either
re-reading or skipping a line with your eyes scan back to the lefthand
edge of the page.

Lauren Dieguez Langford [ldieguez@best.com]