RE: Of (proper) names, aliases, and languages

BELL Scott A (bell_scott_a@oslmac.osl.or.gov)
21 Jun 1995 08:06:18 U

I think this can be accomplished via a perl filter( or any other
language based filter ). I currently use C/C++(being perl naiive) to
filter one file w/ embedded "value" tags from another file wich has
value "blocks" associated w/ those tags.

It would be exceptionally nice if most viewers would recognize ALL SGML
based entity tags, so you could do the reference tag matching that has
been mentioned before.

My 2 pennys,
Scott
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
|========================================================
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
From: Philippe-Andre Prindeville on Tue, Jun 20, 1995 3:58 PM
Subject: Of (proper) names, aliases, and languages
To: www-html@www10.w3.org

This message was sent using a custom form that is not installed on your
server. Some information from the original message may not be
displayed. To view the complete message, ask your network manager to
install the form on your server.

Hi...

I was just thinking about knobots and machine generated indexes for
search engines (as I often do for lack of something useful to
occupy me ;-)...

And the following struck me:

In texts, you can have:

wolfram for tungsten

constantinople for instanbul

consumption for cancer

king charles for charlemagne

mark twain for samuel langhorn clemens

etc. Ie, there are words and names that in other languages, times,
contexts, dialects, etc. might have several "aliases". We need to
be able to tag these associations (equivalences) so that "unworldly"
software (search engines, possibly AI, possibly not) can still
make intelligent selections.

Anyone else feel there is a need here?

Then there is the case of names being language dependent, like
budweiser (german) being natively budevice (czech)... but that's
a different can of worms.

-Philip