Re: Protocol registery? (fwd: Java Applet element proposal)

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@primenet.com)
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 19:42:03 +0500

Time for y'all to speak up, for the HTML Working Group...

>Date: Mon, 5 Jun 95 06:39:47 EDT
>Sender: html-wg@oclc.org
>From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <html-wg@oclc.org>
>Subject: Re: Java Applet element proposal
>
>I suspect this thread is a little premature for html-wg. However, one
>item caught my eye and is worth commenting on:
>
>Sorry, all the attributions had been stripped but > is Terry Allen:

>>HEIGHT=3D100>

>> | The intention was that text between the <APPLET> and </APPLET> tag
>> | should be interpreted as the ALT attribute of IMG tag. It is displayed
>> | if the applet can not be displayed.
>
>> Then there should be an ALT att on APPLET.
>
>The ALT attribute for IMG has the elegance of a band-aid - better than noth=
ing,
>but not to be used as a model for future tage. The content model of the
>draft HTML 3.0 FIG element is a better idea, IMHO.
>
><!--
> The element contains text for use in non-graphical displays. Note that
> you can use the shape attribute in anchors to specify hotzones on images.
> This provides for local processing of pointer clicks and a unified method
> for dealing with graphical and non-graphical displays.
>
> Text is flowed around figures when the figure is left or right aligned.
> You can request the browser to move down until there is enough room for
> the next element, see the CLEAR and NEED attributes (in %needs)
>
> Figures offer a path towards embedding arbitrary information formats
> via some kind of OLE/OpenDoc mechanism.
>-->
>
><!ELEMENT FIG - - (OVERLAY*, CAPTION?, FIGTEXT, CREDIT?) -(FIG|IMG)>
><!ATTLIST FIG
> %attrs;
> %needs; -- for control of text flow --
> src %URI; #REQUIRED -- URI of document to embed --
> %url.link; -- standard link attributes --
> %block.align; -- horizontal alignment --
> noflow (noflow) #IMPLIED -- noflow around figure --
> width NUMBER #IMPLIED -- desired width in units --
> height NUMBER #IMPLIED -- desired height in units --
> units (en|pixels) pixels -- specifies units as en's or pixels --
> imagemap (%URI) #IMPLIED -- pass background clicks to server --
> >

><!ELEMENT FIGTEXT O O %body.content -- dummy element -->
>
>> Now that doesn't give you the ability to put markup in your ALT
>> text, and I now understand better what you want this text for.
>> If you really want to do it this way, you could just change
>> %flow; to %block; and require people to write in paragraphs:
>
>Yes. Actually, is there any reason (apart from network efficiency) why
>FIG could not be used for a JAVA app with the src URI pointing to
>whatever data the app needs? That would avoid having to specify the
>app data in SGML-compliant form; it would avoid displaying
>non-human-readable text, and the referencing the URI could return
>something else (a broken JAVA logo?) using content negotiation for
>non-JAVA-aware browsers.

> [...]

# Walter Ian Kaye: (602) 942-6390 FoxPro/Excel Programmer; Guitarist #
# Correspond to: boo@primenet.com, boodlums@genie.com #
# BinHex files: boo@primenet.com WWW: http://www.primenet.com/~boo/ #