Re: your mail

www-html@www10.w3.org
Sat, 3 Jun 95 21:37:01 PDT

Steve H Rose wrote:

> The codes that I use are the ASCII codes.

Actually, they are the ISO Latin-1 codes. ASCII is a 7 bit character set
and has no characters with code positions greater than 127

> I find they work consistently,
> while some of the other special codes like © do not seem to in all
> browsers.

Yes, you are correct here. Browsers are gradually adding support for
named entities.

> The ASCII code for R in a circle is ® the ASCII code
> for TM is ™ the ASCII code for C in a circle (copyright) is
> © -- any other ASCII code can be entered in a similar manner.

Substituting ISO Latin-1 for ASCII throughout, I agree with you.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |