Re: Seriffed and sans-serif fonts?

Brian Behlendorf (brian@organic.com)
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 23:50:46 +0500

On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, Brooke Smith wrote:
> With this talk of liking to have certain fonts, might it be good to
> have customisable browsers, where the user can provide certain tags
> to indicate that the enclosed text is to be drawn with font X1, where
> they can define X1 to be font:sanserif size 12pt. The author can
> specify the intended font/s by passing that information in the
> 'html resource header' (idea defined especially for this purpose).
>
> THis customisation could extend further with the user/author being
> able to define anything, such as H1 should be an XG7......
> This is not saying that the user and author must set up this
> information before they can use this browser, but that they have the
> option of customisation.

Yup! You've just described exactly how stylesheets are intended to
work. Hierarchical and ultimately user-overridable or -definable, and
keyed to any valid tag. If you have an X windows box download Arena,
<URL:http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Arena/Status>, and check out their
experimental implementation of stylesheets.

Can we get opinions from non-Arena browser developers as to their
opinions of this system, in particular or in general?

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/