What in the world happened to this list?

Shannon the Cannon (shannonj@uts.cc.utexas.edu)
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 14:54:00 +0500

>Shannon writes:
>> Isn't there someone who has some control over the
>> postings?

>Yes. You. And everybody else on the list.

I would like to thank Dan Connolly for fielding this one. And I would
like to urge any of you who have been here since the discussions
here had a little more depth, to urge others to keep FAQ's for other
discussion groups. When I first subscribed to this list, I could
understand about 10% of the discussions. That helps me, and I think the rest
of the recipients of this list learn more about HTML and
related topics. If we start discussing FAQ's then that is exactly what
this list will become.

>> Dan! Come on you must have some pull around here. Please,
>> someone take a little control, weed out all the crud and get back to some
>> of the real issues.

>Is this a call for a moderated mailing list? Is this a call to
>turn this list into a moderated list?

> *** Are you volunteering to moderate? ***
> *** to write a FAQ? ***

I wasn't actually volunteering, but if there is a desire for a
comprehensive FAQ, or a need, which there seems to be, I would be happy
to get things rolling. I would hope that there are enough people that
still care enough about this list, that I could find some support?
I'm am completely open to suggestions.
Maybe we should have a moderated list. We might have both a
moderated and an unmoderated. Then we at least have an option. A filtered
list if you will. Have yours' the way you like it; with or without the FAQ's.
FAQ's are great, and there is a need for them...to bring people up to
speed on the topic at hand...but a list is not the place to discuss them.

>Sorry to rain on your parade, but until a leader emerges, anarchy
>is the only rule.

I am willing to take steps to get any ideas off the ground. If
you have an interest in helping maintain the quality of this list please
say so. I hate to see this list die completely.

>Dan

>p.s. what we really need is better tools for collaborative discussion,
>so that you could benefit from my recommendations (if you like them)
>without my having to go through a lot of hassle, and so folks
>who don't like my recommendations wouldn't be constrained by them.

Please, if you have any suggestions that the subscribers of this
list would benefit from, let yourself be heard

>I try to spend my time building those tools, rather than manually
>moderating discussion fora.

Shannon Johnson
shannonj@uts.cc.utexas.edu