Re: Client-side highlighting; tag proposal

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 07:29:14 +0500

Joe English writes:

> narnett@verity.com (Nick Arnett) wrote:

> > A couple of times lately, I've brought up the notion that clients should
> > handle highlights (the terms that match a search query) better.

> The current HTML3 draft has a <MARK> element that would
> work well for this.
>
> <MARK> is an EMPTY element, used in pairs to mark
> contiguous spans of the document that may cross element
> boundaries:
>
> <!ELEMENT MARK - O EMPTY>
> <!ATTLIST MARK -- requires either start or end attribute --
> class NAMES #IMPLIED -- used to subclass range --
> start ID #IMPLIED -- defines name of range --
> end IDREF #IMPLIED -- paired with start element --

Which version of the draft does this MARK element appear in? I don't see it in
the 19-Jan-95 html3 DTD that appears at

<http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html3-dtd.txt> and at
<http://www.w3.org/pub/arena/html3-dtd.txt>

Checking the local saved copy I use with html-check:

cguhpc [56]: grep Draft html-3.dtd
Draft: Thu 19-Jan-95 12:02:46
cguhpc [57]: grep MARK html-3.dtd
cguhpc [58]:

Is there a more recent version? What is the URL?

--
Chris Lilley
| Technical Author, Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre  |