Re: Browsers and syntax errors (Was: Captions for Figures...)

web@sowebo.charm.net
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 10:35:50 +0500

Steinar Bang wrote:
>[...]
> Making browsers forgiving about HTML syntax errors, instead of giving
> good user feedback, is probably the gravest error committed by the
> browser writers.

I agree - especially since I've recently been beaten up for
displaying the validation_logo on a page (or two) that didn't
conform to HTML 2.0. Obviously enough, one shouldn't do that,
and I never meant to, but like any decent programmer, I have a
pet gremlin with a cruel sense of humour. I need all the help I
can get. A discreet little flag on the browser, and markers in
the View Source window to the offending places, would be wonderful.

Hmmm.. maybe browsers could have a "developer mode".. Dan has
suggested I should use something like CVS so that stuff doesn't
get released without an automatic validation step, and I agree,
if I were a better person with more time to do everything right..
(and I must admit, I've never been particularly good with that kind
of system. sorry).

..but what worries me, is if I, a professional programmer, trying
to Do the Right Thing, find it hard - then what hope is there of
getting the hordes to care about ValidHTML?? Browser writers,
pls give us a "development mode".
>[...]
> Verification services like the one Dan Connoly used to provide (did
> you take it with you to W3, Dan?) can help some, but they will never
> affect Joe Homepage who thinks that his homepage looks soo K00L in
> Netscape and doesn't understand the complaints about bogus HTML people
> keep sending him.

Right on!
While I'm here - can anyone pls tell me, why *do* I need to keep
turning <b> on and off, to skip over paragraph, list, and other
such tags? Some documents, like some of the WDVL pages, I really
*do* want to be bold. Presentation issue, I know, and hurrah for
style sheets, and some may say I shouldn't use <b> so much, but I
still wonder, is there some reason for being required to keep on
toggling <b> ?? And before you flame me, just go out and look at
all the documents out there that simple turn on <b> (or better
still, <h3> or some other) and leave it on. I suspect it's the
biggest single cause of non-conformant documents.

Alan.
Dr.Web@Stars.com -=*<URL:http://WWW.Stars.com/>*=- 1 (301) 552 0272
Web Developer's Virtual Library * CyberWeb SoftWare * WWW Databases
HTML * CGI * Training * Transatlantic Liaison * Per Ardua, Ad Astra