Re: Container vs. Empty Element

CyberWeb (web@sowebo.CHARM.NET)
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 10:24:57 -0500 (EST)

Mary Morris wrote:

> Can someone please tell me how to know if a tag should be
> a container or an empty element? I have looked at every
> DTD that I could find and they don't seem to indicate what
> a tag is there. I know that there are things like <em> that
> are absolutly containers, and that there are things like
> what I want to know is how to tell the ones that should
> never be a container. Like <hr>. I would think that it should
> never be a container.

Why not? I could imagine it turning into a frame around
the contained text.

> Secondarily, does anyone have an absolute list of what can
> be embeded in what?
>
> For example, should I use:
>
> <li><h2> Blah </h2> or
> <h2><li> Blah
> <li> Blah </h2>

If I have understood the "HTML DTD Reference (Level 2)" at
http://www.hal.com/products/sw/olias/Build-html/t0jrrYBc2I9X3cS.html
(!!) then neither is valid. This document explicitly shows what may
be contained, and what it is allowed in content of..

You can find a number of authoritative HTML 2.0 documents at
http://www.hal.com/products/sw/olias/Build-html/buhC2XBDmmF84aK.html
which in turn can be found at http://www.hal.com/~markg/WebTechs/
where they present the famous and excellent HTML Validation Service.

In general I'd like to remind you that you can find such WWW developer
resources at http://www.charm.net/~web/ and if not then please let
me know..

> Does </li> make a difference above? If I want to make a
> head2 list item and have the text after the end of the head2
> still indent like a list item, is that allowed?
>
> I am not looking for answers to specific formatting questions here.
> I am trying to give examples of behavior that I have seen, and
> get a general rule of thumb on how it know what it should
> do.

I don't think one can expect a general rule of thumb to exist.
I have made the mistake of extrapolating behaviour from one HTML
element to another, only to find I was plain wrong. I don't think
this meant I was (totally) stupid or that Dan botched it; rather
that these things are subtle beyond simple rules of thumb..

Best thing, I've found, is to use their validator; it's at
http://www.hal.com/users/connolly/html-test/service/validation-form.html

Alan.
CyberWeb / Virtual Library: a wealth of information on World
SoftWare http://www.charm.net/~web/ Wide
WWW Systems Engineering web@sowebo.charm.net Web