Re: Processing instructions for style tweaks?

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 18:19:48 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, Terry Allen wrote:
> Suppose the mechanism by which you construct the style sheet (in
> Panorama, a GUI) hid the process of giving the element an ID? In
> your example, "tag abuse" solves the user's problem, but it won't
> always, and a GUI-ID-inserter would give the user full access to
> the style sheet's mechanisms. I'm not advocating it, just thinking.

This is exactly what I hope will happen. The process could go like this -
author writes document in purely semantic HTML, loads it up into a browser,
tinkers with layout in a GUI environment, and then clicks on "publish",
generating a stylesheet. We don't want the situation where every document
needs an associated complete style sheet, but we can't get away from the fact
that some documents will have different style sheet needs than others. One
way around this might be, if stylesheets can be made hierarchical and
multiple stylesheet files can be referenced for a single file, to have the
authoring tools deduce a common style sheet amongst all or a group of
documents. Authors could strive to make their style sheets as un-deviant as
possible if it's important to them, and the tools can help them do that.
With caching the overhead of downloading stylesheets could be kept low.

Brian

Your slick hype/tripe/wipedisk/zipped/zippy/whine/online/sign.on.the.ish/oil
pill/roadkill/grease.slick/neat.trick is great for what it is. -- Wired Fan #3
brian@hotwired.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/