Re: GET FILES

CyberWeb (web@sowebo.CHARM.NET)
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 15:48:42 -0500 (EST)

Ryan,
Browsers are normally looking out for a MIME type which is what the
server deduces from the .mime.types. So it's possible to do a number
of things, such as specifying that the file is to be treated as binary
data (whatever type it really is), and this will trigger the browser
to popup the file save dialog (in the usual default configuration).
The browser can also deduce the MIME type locally, using the
~/.mime.types file (UNIX). Put in the line

application/octet-stream type

where "type" is the file extension of those files. The ~/.mailcap file
is the one where you can associate MIME types to viewers; it should
have no entry for this one tho. But just to complete the picture, if
you have a file that is best viewed with some special program, then
you can link it in by associating it to the MIME type thus:

image/x-fits; saoimage -fits %s

If you are an astronomer then you might want to view FITS images with
saoimage. There is currently no registered FITS MIME type (I believe
there will be) but you can extend (x-) the standard types. The %s gets
the data stream. -fits is an arg to saoimage.

Alan.

Ryan Bernard wrote:

> Can anyone help?
>
> We are trying to have a clickable hyperlink that will allow the user to
> download a local file to disk and save it, WITHOUT using the Options menu.
>
> For instance:
>
> 1. User clicks hyperlinked word.
> 2. File save dialog opens.
> 3. User specifies filename and clicks OK.
> 4. File is saved.
>
> I know you can already accomplish this by the following:
>
> 1. User anticipates downloading a file.
> 2. User prepares by selecting Load to Disk from Options menu.
> 3. User clicks hyperlinked word.
> 4. File save dialog opens.
> 5. User specifies filename and clicks OK.
> 6. File is saved.
>
> We are really trying to do is save the user a couple of steps and/or save
> having to train the user on how to download files. I recognize we can just
> include the instructions on the page, next to the link, but what the heck.
>
> Ryan Bernard
> Western Atlas Software
> Houston

CyberWeb / Virtual Library: a wealth of information on World
SoftWare http://www.charm.net/~web/ Wide
WWW Systems Engineering web@sowebo.charm.net Web