Re: Netscape & New HTML

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 12:09:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 20 Oct 1994 lamport@src.dec.com wrote:
> The following are much better:

> or,
>
> <h1 align=center>This is a H1 heading</h1>
>
> I presume one would also write

> I'm glad HTML will express only the logical structure of a document,
> and not be a formatting language. If HTML were a formatting language,
> it would have to include all those nasty features that are needed to
> format real documents, and people might start asking embarrassing
> questions--like why invent a new formatting language when perfectly
> adequate ones already exist?

Ugh. Much preferable:

and in the associating style sheet

p[1]: center, 10pt helvetica, red, blinking

(my syntax is probably off from the proposals, but you get the idea)

the rest of the document to necessitate associating a whole style sheet. The
id wouldn't have to be unique (I don't see anything in the 3.0 spec about it
being unique, at any rate).

Brian "We really want style sheets!"