Re: Winsock Help

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Fri, 24 Nov 1995 13:25:08 -0500

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.951124155146.13590A-100000@ruby>, Isamar Maia writes:

>Dear Sirs,
>
>Sorry if I'm out of topic but my DialUp SLIP/PPP users cannot get W3
>pages but other services using winsock. I've looked for the solution
>through several ways but no success.

You too, huh? I noticed this problem when I was at a conference
in Texas. I called our system administrator, but everything looked
fine from his end.

Our best hypothesis at this point is that our server does a
reverse DNS lookup on your address, and refuses service if
that fails. Since the box I was using in Texas had no DNS
hostname registered, I couldn't get at www.w3.org.

Can anyone else confirm this?

The strange thing is that we have the server configured to
_not_ do reverse DNS lookups in the interest of performance!

Dan