Re: Evolutionary question

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 14:01:46 -0500

In message <199511221858.NAA03073@eies.njit.edu>, James Whitescarver writes:
>>Really? That's interesting. I certainly think that HTTP or HTTP++
>>will be a major part, and it may become the future, but I'm not
>>convinced that it's the best or most desirable Future of The Web,
>
>The dream you discribe is what I'm calling HTTP++, where servers
>and clients are replaced by objects that receive messages and return results.
>HTTP may form the underlying transport, but certainly HTTP+CGI will be the
>stone age compared to the future WWW frameworks that will ultimately provide
>the total connectivity of all objects that the WWW philosophy embraces.

This has been one of the design issues from day one.
A couple of us did a short brain dump on the subject
recently:

The Web as a Distributed Application Platform
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/DesignIssues/DistObjApps.html

There will be much ado about this at WWW4. See:

The Future of Object Technology in the WWW
Submitted by Mark Madsen, Information Services
Framework, APM Ltd

http://www.ansa.co.uk/ANSA/ISF/www4panel.html

Dan