Re: Evolutionary question

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 17:35:59 -0500

In message <v01510101acd7f50e55a9@[204.120.87.12]>, Russell Holt writes:

>These days, the term "World Wide Web" refers to what exactly?

Excerpt from: http://www.w3.org/ :

The World Wide Web is the universe of network-accessible
information.

Also, http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/WWW/
"About The World Wide Web"

The World Wide Web (W3) is the universe of
network-accessible information, an embodiment of human
knowledge. It is an initiative started at CERN, now with many
participants.

It has a body of software, and a set of protocols and
conventions. W3 uses hypertext and multimedia techniques
to make the web easy for anyone to roam, browse, and
contribute to.

I believe this is still an accurate assesment (sp?).

>I'm really asking about the evolution of the term - as other systems
>(ie other protocols, other GUIs to the net) evolve and integrate
>with the "Web" (it's inevitable), it seems that undoubtedly we'll use
>the term to refer to all of that.

Agreed.

Dan