Re: Multiple Submit Buttons in Form

M. Hedlund (hedlund@best.com)
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 10:44:53 -0700

At 10:10 AM 11/10/95, Pat La Claire wrote:
>I have recently come across multiple submit buttons within a
>single <FORM> in an HTML page. I had read somewhere that this
>was *not* allowed (not supported, not recommended) with HTML 3.0.
[...]
>Am I wrong about this being unsupported by the HTML standard?

Multiple submits are supported by HTML/2.0. From
<URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/html/rfc1866.txt>:

8.1.2.7. Submit Button: INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT

An <INPUT> element with `TYPE=SUBMIT' represents an input option,
typically a button, that instructs the user agent to submit the form.
Optional attributes are:

NAME
indicates that this element contributes a form field
whose value is given by the VALUE attribute. If the NAME
attribute is not present, this element does not
contribute a form field.

>Anything I didn't ask, which you believe I should consider?

See
<URL:http://www.research.digital.com/nsl/formtest/stats-by-test/NamedSubmit.
html> for a list of browsers which have implemented this feature.

M. Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>