Re: File upload from a Web browser

Brian Behlendorf (brian@organic.com)
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 15:38:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Patrick Petit <ppetit@wct.fr> wrote,
>
> > I am going through this list to get some advises on the
> > following problem.
> >
> > I have to design an application where a client browsing a Web
> > server could decide to upload a local file to that serveur for processing
> > and get the result of that processing some time latter into another file.
>
> > This application must be performed using a Web browser interface.
> > No assumption can be made about the availability or not of
> > some other resources on the client side like ftp or mail.
> >
> > How would you resolve that problem ?
>
> Don't hold your breath waiting for the browser developers
> to implement a file upload option. It's trivial, but still a pipe
> dream for most service providers.
>
> If the popular browsers implemented this feature, it'd make feasible
> a huge number of projects which are currently mothballed.
> I believe there's a mature RFC out there somewhere for Netscape et al
> to follow.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/html/draft-ietf-html-fileupload-02.txt

It has been implemented on both the client side in Mosaic and server-side
in the NCSA httpd as patches available somewhere at Xerox (Larry?). We
have applications for this TODAY. Are any browser developers listening? :)

If this is a chicken-or-egg situation, we could put this on the short
list for apache....

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/