Re: Content-lengths of dynamic objects

Kee Hinckley (nazgul@utopia.com)
Tue, 9 May 1995 17:02:53 +0500

At 1:14 PM 5/8/95, Jared Rhine wrote:
>methods: 'compute_lastmod' and 'render'. When I want to render an object, =
>first instantiate the object, and invoke 'compute_lastmod' on it. I compar=
>the return value with the timestamp of an on-disk copy of the last
>rendering. If they are the same, I simply serve the file off disk; if not,

This has the disadvantage of leaving the user to wait until your render is
done. Otherwise for large options you could be presenting the object while
rendering, thus decreasing the overall display time and increasing user
satisfaction.

Kee Hinckley Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects=81 617/721-6100
nazgul@utopia.com http://www.utopia.com/

everyone else's.