Re: your mail

wmperry@spry.com
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 16:04:33 +0500

Arthur van Hoff writes:

> Hi Rick,
>
> > Do the browser developers among you have a feeling for
> > the extent to which you will be supporting the LANG and
> > CLASS attributes in upcoming browsers?
>
> HotJava will definitely support the LANG attribute. This attribute is
> really useful for our users in Europe that want to provide the same
> document in multiple languages.
>
> I'm not sure how to interpret the CLASS attribute. Maybe if someone
> could provide us with a set of well understood values.

The 'class' attribute is only useful in stylesheets or when converting to
another DTD, from my understanding. Arena and emacs-w3 use the class
attribute to be able to specify style information across tags, like:

doc.important: font.family=courier
doc.important: font.size += 5
doc.important: color.text=blue

Then you can use: <h1 class=important>, <a class=important>, etc.

> > How about supporting the ID attribute in other than anchor
> > tags?
>
> That is actually very easy.

People have been doing this for a long time.

-Bill P.