Telescript information (was: Web Scripting Languages)

Prentiss Riddle (riddle@is.rice.edu)
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 11:20:42 +0500

> From riddle Tue Mar 7 09:11:04 1995
> Subject: Re: Web Scripting Languages (was: Re: two-way communication in html)
> To: FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com (Fisher Mark)
> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 09:11:04 -0600 (CST)
> Cc: hallam@dxal18.cern.ch, www-security@ns2.rutgers.edu, www-talk@www10.w3.org
>
> Another base worth looking at, if only for comparative purposes, would
> be General Magic's Telescript. I haven't been able to find any
> technical descriptions of Telescript, but it appears to have been
> written with just this sort of problem in mind and (if its backers have
> their way) may before too long have an installed platform base of a few
> million users. If it catches on, some sort of WWW-Telescript
> interoperability will be very desirable. (Pointers to more information
> on Telescript would be appreciated. The best reference I've found to
> date is Wired 2.04 p. 102.)

There's nothing like revealing my ignorance to make information pop out
of the woodwork! The sixth general WWW index I tried, Lycos, finally had
a few hits in a search for "Telescript". Here are the most illuminating:

CJ Silverio's informal General Magic page
http://www.spies.com/ceej/magic.html

The official General Magic corporate home page
http://www.genmagic.com/

Pointers to technical info on Telescript (some only on paper)
http://minsky.med.Virginia.EDU:80/sdm7g/Projects/Python/TeleScript/

Article on intelligent agents from The Economist (14May94 pp 87-88)
http://phenom.physics.wisc.edu/~shalizi/Economist_Articles/agents.html

The General Magic home page includes references to two mailing lists,
MAGICCAP for users and MAGICDEV for developers.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle@rice.edu
-- Systems Programmer and RiceInfo Administrator, Rice University
-- 2002-A Guadalupe St. #285, Austin, TX 78705 / 512-323-0708
-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.