Re: GIF vs JPEG

Kee Hinckley (nazgul@utopia.com)
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:29:58 +0100

At 4:51 PM 1/31/95, Simon Mullenger TS House wrote:
>Hi,
>
>The bandwidth savings, when using JPEG for image transfer, are truely amazi=
ng.

Beware. On small images and computer generated images (particularly things
like logos) JPEGs are larger, not smaller, than GIFs. Try it.

Which isn't to say that JPEG's aren't great, but not for everything (and
particularly not without an alpha channel for masking).

Kee Hinckley Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects=81 617/721-4671
nazgul@utopia.com http://www.utopia.com/

everyone else's.