Re: Embedding of Mime parts

Paul Burchard (burchard@horizon.math.utah.edu)
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 05:01:37 +0100

Brian Behlendorf <brian@wired.com> writes:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, Daniel W. Connolly wrote:
> > It would make sense, though, if I could represent a hypertext
> > document as two separate entities: the content, and the links.
> > The content could be in any format I choose, and the links
> > would be independent. Several of TimBL's writings on WWW refer
> > to HTML as just one data format among many that the web
> > architecture could support. The problem is that HTML is the
> > only data format that can represent links.
>
> That's apparently the philosophy behind Hyper-G (well,
> one of many).

Yup, it's the other way around -- there are already a variety of
formats which are hyperlinked using URLs and the Web. And more are
on the way from some rather large players, who hope to take over the
Web by offering full presentation control.

Additional examples of formats that use URLs for linking: Hyper-TeX,
WebOOGL, VRML, PDF, and apparently in the near future, MSWord (oh
joy).

Paul Burchard <burchard@math.utah.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''