Re: Control areas ?

Joel Crisp (Joel.Crisp@bristol.ac.uk)
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 09:53:48 +0000

> From www-talk@www0.cern.ch Tue Nov 22 09:49 GMT 1994
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 10:44:54 +0100
> Originator: www-talk@info.cern.ch
> From: Sean Martin <sean@mailserver.aixssc.uk.ibm.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
> Subject: Control areas ?
> WWW-TALK
>
> The following suggestion was appended to one of the IBM internal news groups :
>
> >Can those who are communicating with the informal HTML development
> >outside IBM suggest the addition in the browsers of an area on
> >the browser frame, of a top (header) and bottom (footer) area,
> >It would be nice to have this plus an html tag which allowed specification
> >of either an image map, a set of icons, or a set of char strings
> >with html anchors '<a HREF=' in these areas. Thus your 'icons'
> >for forward and backward page movement, search and navigation would not scroll with
> >the document and you wouldn't have to go all the way to the top or
> >bottom of a long file to get to them.
>
> Seems to me that this might be a good idea. It would need an HTML extention but I doubt
> that this would be consistent with SGML. Perhaps it could go into the <header> area ?
> Would anyone more knowledgeable care to comment ?
>
> Kindest regards Sean.
> --
>
> Sean Martin, User Systems, ISC, IBM Europe
> Internet: sean@mailserver.aixssc.uk.ibm.com || sean_martin@uk.ibm.com
> UKnet: sean@aixssc.ibm.co.uk
> Sudbury Towers, London, England, UB6 0JA.
> ** The views above are mine and are not necessarily shared by my employer **

I belive that the HTML Level 3 working group are already considering
something like this - Simon may well be able to comment ?

We definately think that this is a good idea, but would like to see it
generalised to requesting regions and gravity much as the X-windows packer
does. This has applications in Computer based learning, where this kind
of layout control is much more important that with basic document
presentation.

Joel