Re: CENTER element [Was: Netscape & New HTML]

Lou Montulli (montulli@strumpet.mcom.com)
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 14:40:28 -0700

On Oct 25, 3:13pm, Tony Sanders wrote:
> Subject: Re: CENTER element [Was: Netscape & New HTML]
> > > and <P ALIGN=CENTER> makes little sense
> > > given that (a) standard practice is that <P> is end of paragraph, not
> > > a container,
> My, how quickly history is rewritten; <P> has never marked the end of a
> paragraph. The rule was that <P>'s and </P>'s should be implied where
> they are obvious.

That's not true. The original CERN spec, which BTW never included
a DTD, specified <p> as a paragraph separator and never had a </p>.
Trying to make <p> into a container now IS rewritting history and
breaks many current implementations, and in my opionion is a very
bad idea. We should try and write the spec to coexist peacefully
with existing practice rather than breaking everything and forceing
rewrites.

--
Lou Montulli                       http://mosaic.mcom.com/people/montulli/
Mozilla Development Team      It's spelled 'Netscape', it's pronouced 'Mozilla'