From: Bruno Van Wilder <Bruno.VanWilder@rug.ac.be>
Subject: 3c503 goes weird when promiscuous
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 16:46:28 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I am tcpdumping a busy net with a Linux box (486/66) and a 3c503 card.
>From time to time, tcpdump goes to sleep waiting for a packet and doesn't
wake up anymore (Yes, I am _quite_ sure there are still packets passing
on the cable). I can kick it back to life with e.g. an outbound ping
(btw, I can't reach my machine from outside at that moment), a 'netstat',
a 'cat /proc/dev/whatever', ... It looks like I just have to kick the
kernel somewhere around the network code. At some of these stops, the
interface leaves promiscuous mode (although ifconfig doesn't say that),
and I get a 'Transmit timeout (TXstatus 0x40, ISR 0x0); Network cable
problem ?' in /var/adm/debug.
I already tried with kernels 1.0.9, 1.1.52, 1.1.54.
Has anybody got a clue what goes on ?
Thanks in advance !
Bruno

--