Linux-Activists - GCC Channel digest. 94-9-20-8:31

Linux Activists (linux-activists@niksula.hut.fi)
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 12:08:25 +0200

Topics:
ELF timing
Re: ELF patches for XFree86 3.1
100% ELF

From: Kayvan Sylvan <kayvan@Sylvan.COM>
Subject: ELF timing
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 17:57 PDT

>> The new ELF binaries run *much* slower than the a.out binaries, based
>> on my preliminary tests. Anyone else see stuff like this?

HJL> Just a question: Do you have the ELF library in core all the time?
HJL> Please compile your login shell in the shared ELF format first.

I couldn't recompile bash at all (I sent you the bug report), so I
compiled zsh-2.3.1 in both a.out and ELF formats. Each shell then runs
the script which runs the simple g++ program (this way, I can be sure
that the appropriate library is in core).

I used the same compile options on all the various builds.

Here's what happens:

kayvan@satyr$ time /home/src/zsh.elf repeat.zsh 250 Vec.ELF
33.01user 50.45system 1:33.17elapsed 89%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

kayvan@satyr$ time /home/src/zsh.a.out repeat.zsh 250 Vec.a.out
3.38user 33.24system 0:40.11elapsed 91%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
kayvan@satyr[~/src/g++/bjarne]:532$

The ELF binaries are still slower. :-(

---Kayvan

Kayvan Sylvan | Sylvan Associates | Proud Dad of:
kayvan@Sylvan.COM | Training, Consulting | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)
PGP Key available. | NLP Master Practitioner | Robin Gregory (2/28/92)

"The trust and respect of a child is an honor to be earned, not demanded."