Re: Netscape v NCSA, Progress?

anthony baxter (anthony.baxter@aaii.oz.au)
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 17:13:32 +1000

solman@MIT.EDU wrote:
> I think its reasonable for mcom to claim as payment control over the
> protocols used by Netscape. The fact of the matter is that mcom would
> be perfectly justified in setting the standards de facto, and using
> this control to take over the commercial web server business.

I dont.

With the existing www-talk (and hopefully W3O), we will have _open_
protocols. Ones that _everyone_ can decide on. Yes, this often means
nothing gets done, until someone sits down, writes something up, then
everyone mangles it until something workable comes out the end.

MCOM have done a fantastic job with Mozilla, and they are to be
congratulated on the speed of the work. However, this should not allow
them to claim 'the protocols used by Netscape'. If they wish to do this,
call it something other than HTML. We all use HTML, not just MCOM and
their clients.

Open protocols. Not a single-vendor-dictated one.

Of course, if MCOM are intending to allow input into their MHTML
(x-mozilla-html is too much of a mouthful for day-to-day use) then
ignore this post. :)

Anthony