Re: BASE interpretation

Roy T. Fielding (fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU)
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 20:49:47 -0700

Robert Hartill (hartill@lanl.gov) writes:

> Fair enough, but is there a way to allow a document to say..
>
> "In future (e.g. with reload or via hotlists etc) use this
> alternative URL" ?
>
> which is what Xmosaic (and earlier HTML specs) let you do with
> BASE ?

I don't think this is what the HTML specs say (even the early ones),
though I'll admit the wording is somewhat ambiguous. The intention is
that BASE only effect the parsing of embedded URLs.

> If there is no way to do this, then who do I pester in order to
> try to get it into a future HTML spec ?

Is this an HTML issue or an HTTP issue (I seem to recall a discussion
about allowing the URI: header to be returned on 200 OK responses)?

If you want it in HTML 3.0, pester the people on the www-html mailing
list. If you want a clarification of the purpose of the BASE element
to appear in HTML 2.0 (unlikely) or 2.1, then pester the people in the
IETF HTML working group -- see

http://www.hal.com/%7Econnolly/html-spec/index.html

......Roy Fielding ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine USA
<fielding@ics.uci.edu>
<URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>