Re: Caching Servers Considered Harmful (was: Re: Finger URL)

Nathan Torkington (Nathan.Torkington@vuw.ac.nz)
Wed, 24 Aug 1994 11:08:28 +1200

Brian Behlendorf writes:

> *Many* times I've gone looking for specs related to HTTP/HTML
> issues, scouring CERN, NCSA, using any and all robots, only to come
> up short

Testify, Brother Brian. I'm writing a chapter on HTTP for a book on
the web, and I've had to resort to scruffling through code and
pretending to be clients and servers in order to find out what
*really* happens.

Case in point: the fact that redirection is done through the Location:
header line, not the URI: header line. The `documentation' is little
more than a wishlist.

Nat