Re: More on Indexing and Moving one higher than HTML etc

Paul Wain (Paul.Wain@brunel.ac.uk)
Fri, 5 Aug 1994 13:16:35 BST

Yet more from me again,

Sorry Im replying in separate bursts, I find it a little bit easier than one
long cut and paste session...

On Thu, 04 Aug 1994 12:09:12 -0500 Marc VanHeyningen wrote:
> It is indeed hard to do. The main constraint is whether the people who
> prepare and maintain the information have an interest in making it readily
> findable; if so, they'll likely put in the effort to make it findable if
> given an
> easy way to do so. If they don't really care, well, you need either an
> automated
> indexer (possible to do, hard to do well, likely to push some of the work of
> figuring out how to use it onto the user population) or to hire a LIS student
> prepare the index. :-)

Ahhh if only we had the money. But I think you hit the nail on the head here. I
dont envisage a situation where people will be willing to do this, so we do
need automation. As far as I am concerned just a few small scripts may help.

But I think that its is going to be showing people that if they use the tools
they will make their space better but if they dont that is their problem. I
have a feeling that that is really going to have to be the bottom line. The
problem is that I thought this from day one but its the other people in the
development group that I have to pursuade on this, and the attitude is that
"other people must have found a way to do this so why cant we".

Well that just now leaves the actual method of implementation.....

Paul

.--------Paul Wain ( X.500 Project Engineer and WWW Person at Brunel)---------.
| Brunel WWW Support: www@brunel.ac.uk MPhil Email: Paul.Wain@brunel.ac.uk |
| Work Email (default): Paul.Wain@brunel.ac.uk (Brunel internal extn: 2391) |