Re: We need to start talking about group and public annotat

Paul Everitt (paul@cminds.com)
Wed, 20 Jul 1994 14:46:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Jul 1994, Daniel W. Connolly wrote:

> For group and public annotations:
[stuff deleted].
> * If you're interested in a scalable solution, have a look
> at USENET news! The only trick is to enhance browsers
> to understand the message/rfc822 content type a little better,
> (including message/rfc822 bodies whose bodies are text/html)
> and to support NNTP posting and thread navigation.

Instead of a change for the browser-base, how bout a change to the server
base. Basically, you're saying have the client talk to a news server,
talking HTML over NNTP.

I would say put the change on the servers, either putting NNTP in the
server or as a CGI app, to push broadcast HTML documents around. Should
be significantly easier.

My complaint then becomes one of granularity. I don't think news can
version beyond a document -- Lotus Notes has a feature called sections,
which are a subpart of a document. I would like to have the _potential_
for going down to tag ownership, but if not, at least being able to lock
a "collection".

How does the nntp document numbering system fit in with the HTTP doc-id
or URN stuff?

Paul Everitt V 703.785.7384 Email Paul.Everitt@cminds.com
Connecting Minds, Inc. F 703.785.7385 WWW http://www.cminds.com/