Re: We need to start talking about group and public annotations

Jay C. Weber (weber@eit.COM)
Wed, 20 Jul 94 09:23:56 PDT

> From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
>
> The basic problem with annotation as it was implemented is that it
> didn't allow any inline annotations. The annotations weren't very
> useful except on the shortest of documents.
>
> If you want to reintroduce annotations, perhaps that's the most
> important issue to resolve.

When this came up a year ago at the developer's workshop, I
promised to come up with a 'diff' format for HTML so that
incremental modifications to a document, annotations being one
case, could be stored separately and merged efficiently.

Needless to say, I didn't follow through, but it seems like a
useful meme to reinsert. We could use UNIX diff format, ala
'patch', or I expect there is an SGML convention for doing this.
We could work toward a format this is less brittle (e.g.,
instead of 'insert after line 17', do 'insert after paragraph
3' or even 'insert after the paragraph with the following keywords').

Jay