Re: errors don't come back as Content-type: text/html

Garrett Arch Blythe (doslynx@falcon.cc.ukans.edu)
Wed, 13 Jul 1994 11:27:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994, Larry Masinter wrote:
> I'm running a proxy server. If I send it:
>
> GET gopher://nosuchhost HTTP/1.0
> Accept: */*
>
> I get
>
> HTTP/1.0 500 Internal error
> Date: Tuesday, 12-Jul 23:12:26 GMT
>

> but no Content-Type: text/html, although the result starts with
> <HTML>.
>
> Is this a bug in the Cern server, or is this a problem with lynx,
> which interprets it as text/plain instead of text/html? The HTTP
> documentation I can find online doesn't say whether the default for
> Content-Type is text/plain, text/html, even though Content-Type is
> optional.

I'd appreciate any Lynx specific questions taken to
lynx-dev@ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu, but that is a matter of taste.

Anyhow, Lynx 2.3 defaults to text/plain, unless a content type is given
by the server.

I've modified the next version to default to text/html to ease these
types of problems when doing an HTTP request.

Yours,
Garrett.

Trodden Soil

I am trodden soil.
Dust covers my face.
Soles crush my nature
Revealing a hard empty space.

Garrett Arch Blythe (913)864-0436
User Services Student Programmer/Consultant
University of Kansas Computer Center
<doslynx@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>