Re: Re WIT

Fisher Mark (FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com)
Wed, 15 Jun 94 09:00:00 PDT

In <Pine.3.89.9406131801.w3943-0100000@tired.wired.com>, Brian Behlendorf
wrote: >I've been debating this in my head many times - if someone doesn't
have the
>capability to view something on W3, why are they participating in a
>discussion about improving it? I really do not want to come about like a
>snob, but it seems analogous to wanting a snail-mail interface to e-mail
>mailing lists 10 years ago. At some point you have to define a lowest
>common denominator, and the lower that is the more limited your choices
>are.
Hope you have your asbestos suit handy :)... I am working on implementing a
corporate repository of reference documents that will be accessed via WWW
browsers, using both HTML hypertext links and WAIS document text searching
to provide the maximum # of paths to internal technical information. There
are commercial packages for this out there, but they: a) are expensive for
non-mission critical data ($200+/user); and b) appear not to scale as well
as the Web technology seems to. It may be that we are just part of a wave
of sites that are now email-connected to the Internet, but will have IP
connectivity in the near future, so the original point is moot. I am not
sure.

Web technology is useful inside a medium large company, even without IP
connectivity to the Internet.
Mark Fisher Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@tcemail.indy.tce.com Indianapolis, IN

"Just as you should not underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon
traveling 65 mph filled with 8mm tapes, you should not overestimate
the bandwidth of FTP by mail."