Re: Proposal: WIT over USENET or Mail

Ehud Shapiro (udi@ubique.co.il)
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 16:24:05 +0300

> From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@www3.cern.ch>

> > architecturally sound,
> no -- as I tried to explain, you get messed up if you mix
> these URIs with ordinary news as when you have a reference
> in NNTP you don't know which sort it is. This breaks the
> system. If I get a cross-reference in a local news article
> I can't tell whether it is to a local or global article.
> There may be other problems but that is one.

Why can't we resolve news URLs where the host name is omitted to mean
"global" news articles, and look them up in the default NNTP server,
and resolve full news URLs to mean the article at the specified host?
This may require certain discipline in creating cross-references and
other URLs based on the type of newsgroup.

-- Udi