Re: www-philosophy @ wit ?

Rick Troth (troth@rice.edu)
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 09:25:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 8 Jun 1994, Alastair Aitken CLMS wrote:

> Perhaps the two are not mutually distinct - the "feel" of a document
> can be a pointer to its general content?

Boy, have you hit on a point there! Yes, it's because
of how your brain works. Quite different from a computer.
We remember things with links (like hypertext, I guess) but we
remember "feelings" about things more than the things themselves.
This is kind-of like when you remeber reading something somewhere,
but can't remember the exact text until you remember a context that
includes things like the smell of the guy smoking a pipe nearby, etc.

--
Rick Troth <troth@rice.edu>, Rice University, Information Systems